[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”3.27.3″][et_pb_row column_structure=”4_4,2_3,1_3″ _builder_version=”3.25″ background_size=”initial” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”3.25″ custom_padding=”|||” custom_padding__hover=”|||”][et_pb_audio audio=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/propodcasterstories/PPS_36_V2.mp3″ title=”Best Resources for New Podcasters” artist_name=”Darrell Darnell” album_name=”Pro Podcaster Stories” image_url=”https://propodcastsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Pro-Podcaster-Stories-proof-4b.jpg” _builder_version=”4.4.5″ title_level=”h3″ title_font_size=”20px” caption_font_size=”16px” caption_line_height=”2.8em” max_width=”100%” max_height=”188px” custom_padding=”30px||||false|false” hover_enabled=”0″ border_radii=”on|6px|6px|6px|6px”][/et_pb_audio][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”2_3″ _builder_version=”3.25″ custom_padding=”|||” custom_padding__hover=”|||”][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_3″ _builder_version=”3.25″ custom_padding=”|||” custom_padding__hover=”|||”][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][et_pb_row column_structure=”1_4,1_4,1_4,1_4″ _builder_version=”3.27.3″][et_pb_column type=”1_4″ _builder_version=”3.27.3″][et_pb_image src=”https://propodcastsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Apple_Podcasts_400x100.png” url=”https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/pro-podcaster-stories/id1476167941″ url_new_window=”on” admin_label=”Apple Podcasts” _builder_version=”3.27.3″][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_4″ _builder_version=”3.27.3″][et_pb_image src=”https://propodcastsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/google_podcasts_400x100.png” admin_label=”Google Podcasts” _builder_version=”3.27.3″][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_4″ _builder_version=”3.27.3″][et_pb_image src=”https://propodcastsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/spotify-400×100.png” url=”https://open.spotify.com/show/6bvU7AwT27w0HgCosittmv?si=Ln1MwB8oQVSbihlLHeA0yA” url_new_window=”on” admin_label=”Spotify” _builder_version=”3.27.3″][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_4″ _builder_version=”3.27.3″][et_pb_image src=”https://propodcastsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/listen-on-Stitcher-badge-400×100.png” url=”https://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=458779&refid=stpr” url_new_window=”on” admin_label=”Stitcher” _builder_version=”3.27.3″][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][et_pb_row _builder_version=”3.27.3″][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”3.27.3″][et_pb_button button_url=”https://propodcastsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Resources-for-Podcasters.pdf” url_new_window=”on” button_text=”Download the PDF Companion” button_alignment=”center” admin_label=”PDF Download” _builder_version=”4.4.4″ custom_button=”on” button_text_color=”#ffffff” button_bg_color=”#e02b20″ animation_style=”zoom”][/et_pb_button][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” _builder_version=”4.4.4″ link_option_url_new_window=”on”]“People have many choices when they’re looking for a podcast for whatever topic they’re seeking. That means you have got to be on top of your game.” -Darrell Darnell Click To Tweet
Have you ever thought about starting a podcast? Podcasting is an ever-growing ocean covering every topic your imagination can fathom. What about the podcasters? Why did they start a podcast? What hurdles did they have to overcome along the way? What drives them to keep creating content?
There are now over a million podcasts in existence. That means people have many choices when they’re looking for a podcast for whatever topic they’re seeking. That means you have got to be on top of your game.
In this solo episode, I share seven of my best resources for new podcasters. We are going to be talking about how to engage with other podcasters in the community, which conferences you should be attending, and detailing the equipment needed. We are also going to be talking about what hosting company you should go with, how to get music, artwork, and many other great resources. This episode is going to have so much great information! We also have a bonus for you in this episode. We have put together a PDF guide that is going to be your go-to resource for this episode.“I wanted to squeeze a lot of great information into this episode.” -Darrell Darnell Click To Tweet
Join Facebook Groups
- Podcaster’s Hangout was created by John Dennis to allow for the participation of community and collaboration of Podcasters around the world.
- Podcast Movement Community – For Podcasters was created by Podcast Movement (Dan Franks and Jared Easley) as a place for people who are podcasters, looking to become a podcaster, or who are members of the podcasting industry.
- Independent Podcasters Group was created by Independent Podcast Conference (Joe Pardo) as a group designed to bring together independent podcasters. They are always looking to help others get to the next level and grow together.
- Podcasters Paradise was created by the Entrepreneur on Fire Community (John Lee Dumas and Kate Erickson) as a place for fellow Paradisers to share valuable information, collaborate with other Paradise members, and provide others with constructive feedback on podcast-related topics.
- She Podcasts was created by She Podcasts (Jessica Kupferman and Elsie Escobar) as a safe place for women and those who identify as female or identify as non-binary ONLY who podcast or who are setting up a show currently to ask questions, provide support, share resources, wins, advocate for each other and whatever else they like.
Attend a Podcast Conference
- Podcast Movement – August 5-8 Dallas, TX – Podcast Movement is the largest, longest running annual conference for podcasters and the podcast industry. Whether you’re just getting started or you’re an industry veteran, we’ve got over 150 sessions and events designed just for you.
- Podfest Expo – March 5-7 Orlando, FL – Whether you’re new to podcasting or a veteran podcaster looking to innovate and improve your podcast, our easy-to-understand conference tracks allow you to customize a daily agenda based on what you’re most interested in learning. No matter your skill level or experience, Podfest has plenty to offer.
- She Podcasts – October 15-18 Scottsdale, AZ – The largest in-person gathering of women podcasters, audio content creators, story tellers, and more. The purpose of She Podcasts LIVE is to offer women audio creators a chance to learn and experience community in an environment created JUST for them. We focus the education, the social interaction, and even the aesthetic on women only and it makes a big difference.
- Independent Podcasters Conference – September 24-26 Philadelphia, PA – ICON originally started out as Mid-Atlantic Podcast started (December 2014) as a Facebook group for podcasters who live in the Mid-Atlantic States. After seeing the interest to have a podcast (exclusive) conference in the northeast, Joe Pardo jumped on the opportunity to make it happen. This conference is for anyone that identifies as an independent podcaster all around the world.
Invest in quality equipment
I highly recommend a dynamic microphone, because they are more forgiving and have an easier learning curve. Avoid a condenser microphone.
- Shure SM 58 – This microphone is very durable and great for traveling.
- Audio Technica ATR2100 – Most popular microphone in all of podcasting.
- Kit with boom arm, shock mount, pop filter, and cable
- Electro-Voice RE320 – This is the microphone I am currently using and my favorite mic.
- Rodecaster Pro – This widely used and adored product can support multi-track recording and easily bring in guests.
- Zoom H5 – Zoom recorders don’t require a computer. You just record directly onto the SD card. The interface is intuitive and easy to follow.
- Zoom H6
- Zoom F4 – This recorder is more portable with many awesome features.
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 – The best USB interface on the market and all you need.
You want a microphone stand that will bring the microphone up to your mouth.
Podcast Hosting Company
It is important to partner with a reputable hosting company because they are going to give you reliable service and reliable stats.
Use royalty-free music
If you are using music in your podcast it needs to be royalty-free and not copyrighted music. Look through their terms to see which one is best suited for you.
Create artwork that sells your brand
Check out PPS episode 31“Get involved in those Facebook groups! There is so much value and experience that can be gleaned from those Facebook groups.” -Darrell Darnell Click To Tweet
Links and Resources:
- Pro Podcast Solutions
- Darrell’s Email
- Video Library
- Podcaster’s Hangout
- Podcast Movement Community – For Podcasters
- Independent Podcasters Group
- Podcasters Paradise
- She Podcasts
- Podcast Movement
- Podfest Expo
- She Podcasts
- Independent Podcasters Conference
- Shure SM 58
- Audio Technica ATR2100
- Kit with boom arm, shock mount, pop filter, and cable
- Electro-Voice RE320
- Kit with boom arm, shock mount, and cable
- Rodecaster Pro
- Zoom H5
- Zoom H6
- Zoom F4
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
- Boom Arm
- Tabletop Stand
- Pop Filter
- Libsyn (PROPOD promo code)
- Audio Jungle
- Premium Beat
- Check out PPS Episode 31
Disclosure of Material Connection: The links above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services that we use personally and believe will add value to our listeners. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”